About Leslie Korenko

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Leslie Korenko has created 16 blog entries.

The Wilke Building


THE WILKE BUILDING - 129 Columbus Ave. According to an article from the Sandusky Register of January 30, 1986, the Wilke building  was originally part of the West House hotel. The article said that retail stores were on the street level, while hotel rooms occupied the upper floors.  When the West House was demolished, they saved the [...]

The Wilke Building2023-07-22T10:50:29-04:00

The Laurence Building


THE LAURENCE BUILDING - 129-139 W. Market St. This building dates back to around 1880. It was restored in 1978. While the building bears its name, not much history is available on this building. The Sandusky Library has an interesting article on Laurence Cable who might have been the owner. Cable owned [...]

The Laurence Building2023-07-22T10:53:53-04:00

Peddler’s Alley


PEDDLER'S ALLEY The alley entrance is off Columbus Ave. It is sometimes called Musician's Alley because of the music shops located next to the alley, which also have entrances onto the alley. There is a bit of mystery about Peddler's Alley and we are still working on chasing it down. Here is [...]

Peddler’s Alley2023-06-04T13:24:57-04:00

The Wall & the Brehm Building


THE WALL We are still digging into the history of this unusual place. Here is what we have so far. The west side of the wall itself is unremarkable. There are several bricked-in windows, but since the buildings were close together, there is no reason for windows to be there, unless they looked onto [...]

The Wall & the Brehm Building2023-07-22T10:56:33-04:00

Gray Drug


GRAY DRUG Gray Drug was located on the SW corner and this is the side that faced Columbus St. The longest part of the building ran along Market St. Gray Drug was a drugstore chain in Cleveland Ohio. The chain began in 1912 and grew to 46 stores by 1946 and over 100 by the 1970s. Gray [...]

Gray Drug2023-07-22T10:58:46-04:00

J. L. Hudson Store


THE SCHMIDT BUILDING This building was built by Sandusky contractor George W. Doerzbach in the Spring of 1894. It originally was a 100 foot square brick structure. An article in the Sandusky Register of March 30, 1894 reported that the foundations of the building were blasted out of the stone bedrock. That stone was then used [...]

J. L. Hudson Store2023-07-22T11:15:15-04:00
Go to Top