THE CITY OF SANDUSKY
Sandusky has a wonderful collection of historic sites, historic markers and history museums. Check out this list of historic structures on the National Register of Historic Places.
COOKE-DORN HOUSE HISTORIC SITE
1415 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky OH 44870
Managed by the Old House Guild of Sandusky, this three story Greek Revival limestone home is one of the most well-known homes in Sandusky. It was built in 1843 by Eleutheros Cooke (1787-1864), father of Civil War financier Jay Cooke, at the southwest corner of Columbus Avenue and West Washington Row. Cooke was one of early Sandusky’s most notable citizens, Sandusky’s first lawyer, a real estate developer, congressman, state legislator and railroad promoter. Cooke was one of the founders of the Firelands Historical Society in Norwalk in 1857.
In 1878, the home was purchased by a prominent Sanduskian, Rush R. Sloane, who had the house dismantled and moved to its present location further south on Columbus Avenue. The home was donated to the Ohio Historical Society in 1994. The home features a ruby and cranberry glass collection, antique furnishings, greenhouse and gift shop. In 2019, the Cooke House received its historic Marker.
OLD MAPS of the City of Sandusky can be found HERE.
HISTORIC MARKERS – There are an incredible 34 Historic Markers in Sandusky. You can view them HERE.
Take a walk through Oakland Cemetery and learn about the Erie County soldiers who died during World War I HERE.
Civil War Soldiers at Oakland Cemetery – click HERE.
Underground Railroad cemetery walk at Oakland Cemetery – HERE.
BOOKS About Sandusky:
Ellie Damm, Treasure by the Bay: The Historic Architecture of Sandusky, Ohio, Western Reserve Historical Society Publication Number 169, Associated University Presses, 1989. This well-illustrated book contains detailed information on the architecture and the history of many of the early homes and commercial buildings still standing in Sandusky.
Ron Davidson, Sandusky, Ohio, Arcadia Publishing, 2002.
Charles E. Frohman, Sandusky’s Editor, The Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio, 1968. This book offers a view of the history of Sandusky through the eyes of Isaac Foster Mack Jr. the owner and editor of the Sandusky Register from 1869-1909.
Charles E. Frohman, Sandusky’s Yesterdays, Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio, 1968. Charles Frohman was the last president of the Hinde and Dauch Company and served a term as president of the Ohio Historical Society. He amassed a large collection of books, newspaper files, photographs, and documents relating to the history of Erie County and Sandusky that is housed at the Hayes Presidential Center in Fremont, Ohio. This books contains a detailed history of the Sandusky Region in the years prior to its settlement and describes the founding of Sandusky and various topics in the town’s history.
Charles E. Frohman, History of Sandusky and Erie County, The Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio, 1965. This short, sixty-page book is a well-illustrated account of the founding of Sandusky with sections on selected topics in the city’s history.
Charles Frohman, Sandusky’s Third Dimension, The Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio, 1971. The first of a series of three pamphlets containing short articles based on articles from early issues of the Sandusky Register.
Charles Frohman, Sandusky Area Miscellany, The Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio, 1973. The second of a series of three pamphlets containing short articles based on articles from early issues of the Sandusky Register.
Charles Frohman, Sandusky Potpourri, The Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio, 1974. The third of a series of three pamphlets containing short articles based on article from early issues of the Sandusky Register.
Helen Hansen, At Home in Early Sandusky, Sandusky Register, Sandusky, Ohio, 1975. This well-illustrated book is based upon the “Stately Old Homes” series which was published by the Sandusky Register. It includes detailed information on many of the older homes still standing in Sandusky.
Helen Hansen & Virginia Steinemann, From the Widow’s Walk: A View of Sandusky, Sandusky Library and Follett House Museum, Sandusky, Ohio, Vol. 1, 1991. The beautifully illustrated book is based upon a series of illustrated articles entitled “Follett House Scrapbook” that appeared in the Sandusky Register in the years 1987, 1988, 1989 & 1990.
Helen Hansen, & Virginia Steinemann, From the Widow’s Walk: A View of Sandusky, Sandusky Library and Follett House Museum, Sandusky, Ohio, Vol. 2, 1996. A continuation of the previous book with articles that appeared in the Sandusky Register through 1996.
Historical Sketch and Official Souvenir Program of the 100th Anniversary of the Incorporation of the City of Sandusky, Centennial Executive Committee, Sandusky, 1924. This well-illustrated program includes both a great deal of information on the early history of Sandusky and a view of the city in its centennial year.
William T. Martin, Our Old Town As She Used t’ Be, Pageant Press, New York, New York, 1959. This amusing book offers the reader a view of Sandusky through the eyes of William Martin who was born in Sandusky in 1889. It covers the period from his birth to approximately 1910.
W.D. Root, City Guide and Business Directory: First Annual Issue, Steam Press of Bill, Cooke & Co. Register Office, Sandusky 1855. W.D. Root begins this, the first Sandusky City Directory with the first published history of the town.
Sandusky Library – http://www.sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com/ This blogspot contains illustrated articles on a wide variety of topics relating to the history of Sandusky.
Sandusky Library – Sandusky Newspapers (microfilm,” Obituary Index and Notebooks, most City Directories, and Old House Guild Historic Nomination Notebooks available in the in the reference room and genealogical sections.
Sandusky of Today (Historically Reviewed) Its Facilities and Inducements for the Investment of Capital, Comprising Sketches of Its Extensive Fisheries, Its Lumber Interests and Complete Rail-Road Connections While Affording All the Advantages of a Lovely Lakeside Residence, I.F. Mack & Bro. Printers and Binders, Sandusky, Ohio, 1888. This small, illustrated volume offers a view of Sandusky and its Commerce as it existed in the 1880’s. It is available online on the Sandusky Library Website under Follett House Museum downloads and media.
Kristina Smith, Lost Sandusky, The History Press, Charleston, S.C., 2015.
Gordon Wendt, In the Wake of the Walk-In-The-Water: The Maritime History of Sandusky, Ohio, Commercial Printing Company, Sandusky, Ohio, 1984. This well-illustrated book is an exhaustive, well indexed, maritime history of Sandusky.
What: Souvenir of Sandusky, Ohio, Compiled and Published by Hill & Dolly, Printed by I.F. Mach & Bro., Sandusky, Ohio, 1903. A great view of Sandusky and its commerce in 1903.
Ernst von Schulenburg, Sandusky: Then and Now, Publication No. 115 of The Western Reserve Historical Society, Translated from the original 1889 addition by Norbert and Marion Lange, Cleveland, 1959. This book originally published in German as “Sandusky Einst und Jetzt“ provides is a detailed history of Sandusky’s German Community and its many contributions to the development of Sandusky.